Meet Princess Merida, the feisty Scottish heroine of Disney/Pixar’s Brave, which hits theaters today. This lovely lassie sports a fabulous red, curly mane that is more than just a fashion statement – it’s a technical coup!
There’s a reason that Merida is the first animated Disney princess with luscious curls. Princess Ariel from Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” (1989) would have had curly hair, but it proved to be too tough a task for traditional cel animation.
While most of us 3-D folk work to ELIMINATE flyaways, animators completed Merida’s look by adding in wisps and strays by hand for an uber-real effect.
Enter Pixar’s simulation team, headed by Claudia Chung. According to the June issue of Wired magazine, Chung’s team designed a special simulator called Taz to create convincing bounce and texture for Merida’s locks. Named for Bugs Bunny’s nemesis, Taz uses computer-generated coils of varying sizes to give the individual curls their natural movement. The result? A wild-looking mane with perfect control.
A computer program that gives hair lift, volume, texture AND control? Let’s all take a moment to think how awesome that would be!
Of course, here in the real world, there’s no app for that. Princess Merida would be in for a rude awakening if she pulled an “Enchanted” and landed in the real-live humidity of the Scottish Highlands.
Luckily, there are some amazing products available for you curly-haired princesses living in the REAL world. At Beauty Collection, we’ve got what you need to keep your locks looking lovely wherever your adventures take you. Here are five great options:
- Hold on. For bold, nonchalant curls like Princess Merida’s, try TIGI Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier. A couple of pumps of this rockin’ formula will enhance your hair’s natural texture while giving you the hold and control you’ve always wanted.
- Fight frizz. Whether you’re basking on Miami Beach or adventuring like Merida through the damp Scottish weather, don’t let humidity frizz you out! Reach for Hair Rules Curly Whip, a protein-enriched formula designed to protect your curls from frizz while keeping your tresses soft and shiny.
- Get going. Off on a quest of your own? Be prepared anywhere with the DevaCurl Trial + Travel Kit, featuring a cleanser, conditioner, styling gel, and moisture-lock spray. These four airplane-friendly bottles give you everything you need to cleanse, condition, moisturize, define, and style those gorgeous curls on the fly.
- Define yourself. Active lasses like Merida put their curls through tons of abuse. Restore yours with Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk: The Original Curl Definer. This amazing lotion defines and conditions curls with essential oils like lemongrass, vitamin C, and sweet almond oil for hair that is bouncy, soft, shiny and manageable.
- Comb free. For your own little princess, make comb-outs pain-free with Kinky Curly Tiny Twirls Detangling Conditioner. This all-natural conditioner targets tangles and knots to make life much easier for you and your little one.
Anyone else excited to see Princess Merida in action? I can’t wait! In the meantime, share your own hair-raising adventures below!
Get More Info