Whether you’re sporting daytime flannel or an off-the-shoulder evening dress, you’ll love this hot new twist on smoky eye makeup for spring.
To master this trend, it’s all about the smudge. The effect is effortlessly edgy – and even a little sweaty – like you’ve been out dancing all night. With smears of black and gray, this smoldering look riffs on ’90s grunge for extra attitude around the clock. Let’s get started!
1. LAY YOUR FOUNDATION. For staying power, always start with a primer for your lids. We are loving the blendable Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer in Smoke, a deep shade that darkens the color of the eyeshadow you wear over it for an even smokier effect.
do: USE YOUR FINGERS! DON’T GET TOO PRECISE WHEN APPLYING YOUR LAYERS – FOR THIS LOOK, THE SMUDGIER, THE BETTER.
2. LINE ‘EM UP. To pull off this trend, your eyeliner should be bold, inky and dominant. Make sure to define both lash lines with the waterproof LORAC Front of the Line PRO Eye Pencil in Black. After you apply, diffuse just a little to avoid perfect lines.
don’t: NEVER USE LIQUID LINER ON YOUR LOWER LASH LINE. REMEMBER: YOU WANT SMOKY, NOT SEVERE OR DRIPPY.
3. GET READY TO SMOLDER. For the sweaty, sooty realism of this look, it’s okay to swipe on your eyeshadow in a hurry. Make this step easy with theBalm SmokeBalm Vol. 1, a sultry palette of three shades for the perfect smoky eye. Follow the included instructions, or mix and match to create your own irresistible shade.
do: FOR A BOLDER, RICHER COLOR, TRY WETTING YOUR EYESHADOW BEFORE APPLYING, THEN BLEND AWAY THE HARSHER EDGES.
4. HARNESS YOUR CURL POWER. Conventional wisdom says to curl your lashes before applying eyeliner, but, in this case, the extra smudging will do you a favor. We give you permission to curl away with the Kevyn Aucoin Eyelash Curler for extra va-va-volume.
don’t: UNLESS YOU REALLY LIKE SCRUBBING YOUR EYELASH CURLER, NEVER USE IT AFTER APPLYING MASCARA. IT’S MESSY, AND IT CAN BE HARD ON YOUR LASHES, TOO.
5. FAN THE FLAME. That smoky eye won’t smolder until you add a ton of mascara to your lashes. Pump up the volume with bareMinerals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara for a sizzling finishing touch.
do: MAKE SURE YOUR MASCARA WON’T CLUMP AND FLAKE ON YOU. THIS IS THE ONLY STEP YOU NEED TO BE SMUDGE-FREE.